Saturday, September 22, 2012

Thing 13

This is the first time that I have ever heard of Zoho. I didnt event know that something like this existed. I have microsoft word and I guess I have never really had a need for anything else. Zoho is a web based application and I think this is a new concept. When I first started typing on zoho writer, everything looked about the same as it does on word. In other words, I was familiar with how to navigate everything. I did notice that it took a second longer to see the letter I typed on the screen. It seemed to take even longer to edit anything. I was frustrated because I am not use to having to Microsoft word. However, I started thinking about all the advantages to this. For one, its free. When I bought my pc, it was on sale for about $700. Then I added for spy ware (I mentioned I bought a pc...and not a Mac...right? lol) Then I had to buy Microsoft word. I dont remember what I paid for it, but probably close to $200. I knew I had to have it for school. I type all my papers using this and I need it to open a lot of e-mails. Who knew there was a better way? I love how documents can be sent this way and allows a person to open it without having to buy word. I remember when a family member of mine lost their job. They were applying on-line (thats pretty much the standard routine now for getting a job...online applications)...and he kept getting responses in the form of a document that he could not open because he did not have word on his computer. Some applications had to be sent this way as well. He had to use my computer a lot for this process, which was frustrating. It was time consuming too. He had to keep driving to my house to use my computer. After taking all things in consideration, I think I am in favor of using applications like zoho. It is easy to access and it is FREE!!! I think applications like this might but the pressure on microsoft word and force them to lower the prices on Microsoft Office/word. I understand that google driver is a way to share and send doucuments with others. It took a little while to install on my computer but I finally figured it out. I decided to play around with the drawing tool.. It was fun and okay, but I dont think I will use this feature of google drive. However, this application certainly be a great way to communicate as a teacher with students and parents. I actually tried to click on a link from a student in another section of this class..and it said I needed permission from this person to view it. This ensures privacy and I think that is a great thing. I prefer zoho. It was very simple and I could do anything that I needed on this application. Maybe as I gain more experience, I will find google drive to be better. I just know, for me, it took ahwile to download and I am always a little uneasy about having to download things on my computer that I am not familiar with. This is the link to my drawing............Hope it work:) https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1alC1BsVOO2I1J94fKXV1tvGFKoeMMgABx7dn-tFmYbM/edit

No comments:

Post a Comment