Wednesday, August 29, 2012

THING ONE

avatar      
   

       According to the powerpoint, there are 7 1/2 lifelong learning habits.  I really liked how the last one included play.  As a busy mother of 3 girls, I sometimes forget this.  However, the one that was most challenging for me was habit 6.  This one was about using technology for our advantage.  Although there are 4 computes in the house and my husband and I both have smart phones, I certainly don't have the skills to utilize these tools for my advantage.  I have owned a nook color for about a year and have only downloaded one book.  (and I LOVE to read).  I got an ipod 2 years ago and I still couldnt tell you how to upload or download (whatever the right word is) a song.  In fact, I dont even know where it is right now.  I can text, check my facebook, and check my e-mail.  I am getting better at navigating my D2l.  That is about the extent of my ability.  I noticed when my husband, who is quite the electonic gadget guy, tries to explain things to me either about my phone or the computer, I tune him out.  It is almost as if my brain is screaming "Don't listen to him!"  I am a very diligent student, and I know that being forced to take this class will benefit me greatly.  I am sure my husband is relieved that I am finally forced to learn how to do some of this stuff so he wont have to help me so much!
     Habit number 7 is the easiest for me.  I love to mentor and teach people.  Last semester I took statistics online.  A girl I knew was also taking the class.  She was struggling and was afraid that she would fail the class.  I started helping her before our midterms.  We had the same midterm test, and she ended up scoring higher than me!  Anyway, helping her was fun.  I have two kids in elemenatry school and I love sitting down with them to do homework.  I love when I am able to help someone learn something new.  I think teaching someone is so much fun.
     Becoming more familiar with web tools will absolutely make me a better teacher.  I will try to keep a posivie attidute and embrace technology.  I was nervous about creating my first blog ever.  I was afraid I was going to mess something up. But I didnt!! Who knows.....I might just survive this class:)
    

4 comments:

  1. you did it! I knew you could! now...how do I follow? don't stress about it...I'll just keep reading via your facebook posts! love ya, you mommy blogger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job Marrianne!! When my husband starts talking "mac" my brain starts saying lalalalalala...lol. I am sure you will do great in the class. Good luck on your journey, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank everyone..I loved logging into my blog and seeing the comments to my post! Brenda,we have to use Mac's at APSU...I am learning:) Angie, I have no idea how to tell you to follow my blogs...(lol) I am not that advanced of a blogger yet..!!!!

    ReplyDelete